Born and brought up in the capital, getting married to a businessman brought her to Bangalore 30 years back. When she did her graduation and post graduation in Book Publishing from Delhi University, she didn’t imagine that one day she will be getting married to a business man and joining him in his tyre business. But this was the best choice she made with a clear focus of having flexi timing to set up her home and start a family. After being a devoted mother and home maker for sixteen years of her married life there came a time when she began evaluating her life. She was in pursuit of more meaningful life that drove her to the field of counselling.
She began her journey as a volunteer way back in 1997, at ‘ASHA’, a Rehabilitation center for schizophrenics run by Richmond Fellowship Society. On one hand it was heart - rending to work with the patients there, on the other hand human behavior seemed to fascinate her so much that she decided to train herself to be a professional counsellor. So she did her first course in counselling in 1999 and volunteered at various NGO’s and schools which endowed her with the right foundation to build her career in counselling on. Since then there has been no looking back. She undertook various courses to equip herself enough so that she can start her own institute. The focus was crystal clear – reach out to the lonely and distressed, be it children, adolescents, or couples and families.
To quote her, “The whole process has helped me discover myself and put things in perspective. Learning about oneself is a never ending process and I find the journey on this road less travelled very exciting. Self awareness can be addictive”.
She set up “Prerana Academy’ in 2003 in Bangalore and since then has been helping people have better relationships for over fifteen years.
Prerana came into existence and is transforming into a mature being because of Meera Ravi’s passionate belief in exploring and expanding human energy and potential. Her aim is to reach out to anyone who may be going through any kind of struggle, is lonely and distressed, be children or adults and empower them to have a better quality of life. She is a trained family counsellor with over fifteen years of experience.
- Graduation in Book Publishing (Delhi University)
- Post graduation in Book Publishing (Delhi University)
Courses related to Counselling
- "Therapeutic Community and Personal growth" from "Richmond Fellowship Society".
- "Diploma in Counselling skills" and " Basic skills in Counselling".
- "Certificate Course in Guidance" from Indira Gandhi National Open University.
- "NLP Practitioner's Course" Basic Skills.
- "TA 101Certificate" course.
- Advanced training in "Child and Adolescent Counselling" .
- Advanced training in "Couple and Family Counselling".
- Certificate course in "Bereavement Counselling" .
- Diploma in "Creative Writing in English" from Indira Gandhi National Open University.
- M.A. Psychology (with specialization in child Mental Health).
- Diploma in Transactional Analysis from SAATA.
Work & Experience
- Counselling children with behavioural problems.
- Helping parents and children have better communication with each other.
- Conducting workshops for parents, teachers and students.
- Conducting various need based activities related to human behaviour apart from conducting personalized programmes and seminars for corporate world.
- She is Fluent in English, Kannada and Hindi.
- To spread awareness about counselling and skills of parenting, she has written a column in JNR Today for around nine years.
- She has conducted workshop on "Effective parenting" for the employees of WIPRO.
- Volunteered at "Helping Hand" from 1999-2003.
- She regularly conducts workshops for parents, teachers and students
- She has been a Columnist for Times of India in the recent years
- She was a columnist with Bangalore Mirror – the one minute manager.
Following are the institutions where she has conducted various workshops for parents, teachers and students on parenting, counselling, study skills respectively, she has worked as a counsellor for high school children for more than ten years.
- Jelly Beans
- Pearls and Petals
- Child’s day
- Growing Wonders
- Euro Kids
- St. Paul’s School
- Sri Kumaran’s Children’s Educational Trust
- APS Public School
- St. Ann’s School
- SJR Public School
- Mahila Mandali, Fame India (special school),
- Anand shiksha Kendra
- Holy Child Convent
- MG Railway Colony
- ASC Centre
- Doni Malai.
- Mount Carmel College
- A.V.P.U College
- Cathedral College
- Baldwin Women Methodist College
- St Joseph college
- Jyothi Nivas College